Karl XI is perhaps the Swedish king that most enjoyed spending time in Kungsör and he had this church built for the Royal Manor. It took from 1690 to 1700 to build the church but unfortunately the king never saw it when it was finished. He died in 1697 when a lot of work remained to be done on the interior. To mark the bicentennial of his death, a large gilded copper crown was mounted on the church dome in 1897.
The church was designed by Nicodemus Tessin, the Younger, and the altarpiece
and silver collection were designed by Burchardt and David Klöcker Ehrenstral.
The church was opened in the year 1700 and is an original Baroque church
characterized by a number of King Karl XI’s personal touches. The pulpit is from
the chapel in the palace Tre Kronor.
For guided tours of the church, please contact the parish registrar’s office
on 0227-100 26.
This church is located on a hill on the edge of the village of Valskog. It was built in the 14th century and was originally single-naved. In 1806 the church was struck by lightening and burned down leaving only the walls. A new church was built which opened in 1807. The retable is from the 18th century and there are several brass chandeliers from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. The church also has an
intact belfry from the 12th century. The silhouette cutter Johan Leksell has
been buried in the cemetery since 1932. For guided tours of the church, please contact the parish registrar’s office on 0227-100 26.
This granite church with brick features and wooden vaults was built at the end of the 13th century. A few 15th century murals are still visible in the vault. This small church, in fact the smallest one in the diocese, holds just 100 people. The church bell is from the 13th century and the crucifix is from the 1360s. Guided tours can be arranged for groups. Please contact the parish registrar’s office on 0227-100 26.
Torpa kyrka is one of the churches in Central Sweden that researches have dated as far back as the end of the 12th century. What makes this church remarkable is that it is one of the few churches that appears to have been signed by its founder. On the original reliefs on the southern doorway there is runic writing that reads ”Odulf gjorde kyrkan” (Odulf built the church). The current chapel was originally a nave in the Roman church. The vault murals are from the 15th century and the christening font is from the 12th century. Guided tours can be arranged for groups. Please contact the parish registrar’s office on 0227-100 26.
Kontakt för den här sidan:
Kontakta Kungsörs kommun
Telefon: 0227-60 00 00
7.30-12.00 och 13.00-16.30
Avvikande öppettider kommunhuset
Drottninggatan 34, 736 85 Kungsör
Kungsörs kommun, 736 85 Kungsör
Box 34, 736 21 Kungsör
Mer om fakturering här
Tillgänglighet och dialog